Internet, meet Becker.
Her real name is Kaitlyn but she goes by Becker. That makes her super cool to me. I always wish I had stopped being embarrassed by my middle name (Carter) and used it as my first name, too. (True confessions!) :)
Becker is laid back, intuitive, and artistic. She is a dreamer, a talented photographer, and super eager to learn. I am really looking forward to working with her this semester. She will be assisting me at some weddings as well as working on graphic design projects for me during our time together. I am so excited about all that she will be bringing to the Sincerely, Liz, Inc. team.
I asked Becker a few questions to help introduce her to you all. Please take the time to read her answers below and welcome her to the team!!
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be? I wanted to be some sort of performer or creator. I knew my life would not be boring. My mother sings opera, and my father is a photographer. My mother says that my interests were also "dramatic", from ballet and irish step-dancing, to opera and writing. I recall going through mountains of National Geographic magazines, cutting out my favorite pictures, and knowing right then that I was meant to be a storyteller through photographs. So, I decided to shoot for the mundane and be either a famous musician (I play the viola) or a National Geographic Photographer! You never know what God has in store....
- What do you do on your days off? On my days off I read, read, read! And I love spontaneous adventures in good weather like hiking, waterfall-jumping at panther falls, walks in the park with my boyfriend Josiah, and getting in shape at the gym! If I was back in my hometown, Rhode Island, I would be at the beach swimming everyday and enjoying clamcakes and chowder.
- Tell us about someone that’s an important part of your every day life and why he or she is important to you. Wow, narrowing that down is very hard. I'm going to have to say that Josiah Johnson is one of the most influential people in my life. I know everyone says their boyfriend is their "best friend." But he really is. He pushes me to try harder, and is incredibly supportive of my larger-than-life goals, always giving me great critiques on my graphic design projects and encouraging me. He is the goofiest person I know, with the biggest arsenal of character voices, funny accents, puns, and silly card games. I have learned to take myself a little less seriously (too many embarassing stories to tell here...) in the time I've known him, and to trust God in everything. He loves me the way I am, but continually makes me a better person with each day we spend together; The Mark of the good man.
- What is your favorite blog? I divide my blog-time pretty equally between a few, but I love my photography blogs! I love to look up the newest adventures on this National Geographic Adventures blog. My favorite was a Mongolian Horse Trek feature. I also check out blogs on old vintage cameras like Film is not dead. A few fitness blogs have been motivating me lately, too.
- What is your dream job? Oooh, thats a toughy. I'm still a little kid at heart and I want to do 5,000 different things. I would love to be a documentary photographer. I love storytelling, I love travel, I love being involved and recording what is around me. I did a documentary with The Festival Ballet Providence in Rhode Island and I fell in love with the story that was unfolding before me. Thats why I love National Geographic so much, because of their great stories through images. I have toyed with the idea of also owning my own photographic film darkroom in an artist community....a very small, but needed niche.
She inspires me so much! To be young again with the world at your fingertips... I just love her heart. :)
So, of course I had to do a portrait session with each of my interns..! (More to come later this week.) Becker's session was planned super last minute when the local weatherman began predicting snow in the forecast last week. We exchanged a few texts and ended up meeting in the corner of a parking lot for about 15 minutes the next morning to capture the pictures below. I just love how these came out and was jumping for joy that her artistic eye knew JUST what colors to wear with her porcelain skin against the pure white snow. So, so pretty!
I invited Josiah (her boyfriend) along for a few fun pictures at the end and was reminded, again, how passionate I am about capturing the love and chemistry between two people. You guys, I seriously snapped pictures of them for less than 4 minutes and look at the joy they instantly shared! Becker just lights up in Josiah's presence!
Such a fun semester ahead!!
Liz Cook is the owner and photographer of sincerely, liz: photography. She is a virginia wedding photographer and virginia portrait photographer who loves virginia weddings, family portrait sessions and couple photography.