2018 Goal Setting
With Lara Casey's Powersheets, pt. 2
Yesterday I shared in my 2018 Goal Setting, Pt. 1 blog post about my reflections of 2017 and what I learned throughout the year. Today I am excited to share with you what my goals are and some of the small steps I will be taking to reach each of them!
Much like my goals wayyyy back in 2014, I have found that I am still very content with the idea of enough. I simply want a healthy and happy home life, I want to do everything I can to raise good, God-loving kids, and I hope to contribute to my community in a positive way. So while my goals may not seem all that exciting at first glance, I am really excited at how much I know I'll grow as a person through the work I'll be doing to achieve them!
Without further ado here are my 2018 Goals and the first few steps I plan to take to achieve them this year:
Cultivate a deeper relationship with God.
- Memorize & meditate on one piece of scripture each month
- Attend/participate in 1-3 bible studies at my church this year
- Read: Fervent
Continue to nurture a stronger, healthier marriage.
- Participate in MarriageWorks again during the Spring semester (Locals, come join us!! It's an amazing community!!)
- Continue with weekly date nights
- Pray for Tommy daily
- Read: Fierce Woman & You and Me Forever
Give more focused, quality time with the girls.
- Monthly one-on-one dates with each girl
- Social Media Free Sundays (or total phone-free Sundays?)
- Weekly morning devotions with Sunday before school (create a routine with this)
Improve physical & mental health.
- Be more disciplined with my quiet time/journaling routine and pray about keeping it a priority
- Explore new podcasts and listen to them while editing in the office (instead of music)
- Register for 1-3 5k Fun Runs (I'm already registered to do a 5k Foam Race Obstacle Course with a friend in March!)
- Participate in a 21-30 day yoga challenge/retreat (I hope to do this in the summer when the girls are home and they can do it with me)
- Allow chores around the house to be exercise! Turn on music and break a sweat while working!
- Read: Boundaries & Rising Strong
Work towards becoming more financially responsible.
- Absolutely NO business debt in 2018
- Close my one and only business credit card
- Participate in a contentment challenge before July (I'm considering Nancy Ray's challenge)
- Request a copy of my credit report and analyze it
Continue to seek and implement ways to simplify and automate my business.
- Pray and ask God to show me what this can look like! Social media assistant? Virtual assistant? Batch editing/writing/projects? I don't know just yet.
- Research possible editors for session images, pray about this step.
- Add Monthly Tending dates to my calendar and stick to them!
- Write / plan blog posts in bulk (I've never done this before but am going to give it a try!!)
- Read: The ONE Thing
Seek and implement ways to simplify, automate, and create routines at home.
- Continue using my weekly planner to keep up with life and stay on top of things
- Work through the Intentional Mom's Toolkit to explore other possible systems that may work for our family
- Make Sunday Meal Prep and Taco Tuesdays a weekly routine
- Design a solid AM & PM routine for the household and make it a habit/rhythm
- Read: The Miracle Morning & The Lifegiving Home
I know that seems like a lot - but it's really not! It's completely doable and here's why I think this:
Another big change in my mindset this past year is my plan/hope to approach this year with the 12 Week Year mindset. This means instead of planning ahead for an entire year, I will plan for the upcoming twelve weeks. (Because one year from now my whole life could look different! It doesn't make a lot of sense to plan so specifically for a season so far away.) This has changed EVERYTHING! I can look at the list above and not be overwhelmed at all I have listed because I know so many of those items are for the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th quarter of the year! I'll get to them eventually, but right now I am simply focusing on this first quarter and the progress I can make now. That's so exciting to me!
Here are ten action steps I've either already taken or I plan to take by the end of January to start reaching my 2018 goals:
- Call and close my one business credit card. (done!)
- Begin reading Fervent. (started!)
- Schedule dates in January for special dates with each girl. (done!)
- Register for the winter/spring semester of MarriageWorks. (done!)
- Register for the upcoming women's bible study at church. (done! We begin meeting this week!)
- Register and begin training for the 5k Foam Race in Charlotte, NC in March. (done!)
- Set an alarm on my phone on Sunday mornings for "Social Media Free" days and move social media apps to another screen. (This plays a trick on my mind and when I go to the usual app location out of habit I am reminded that's a social media free day!!) (done!)
- Tape this month's scripture card to my bathroom mirror (done!)
- Begin researching other fun obstacle course races to do later in the year.
- Gather all of my quiet time / journaling materials and place them in a basket near my favorite reading chair. (done!)
So that's that! Let's see how this goes!